No one wants to have the experience of changing a flat tire in the Mt. Ephraim, NJ area, but flats are part of driving, and at some point, everyone has one. Every driver should know how to change a flat, even if you have roadside assistance. Here are some tips to make changing a flat safer and easier.
- Be prepared. Make sure the jack is good quality, there is a lug wrench, a large flathead screwdriver, emergency flares or triangles, and the spare is in working order.
- Pull off the road to a safe area that is either off the road entirely or as far off the road as you safely can. Roadsides can be a dangerous location.
- Make sure you can be seen, so use flares or triangles and open the trunk or hood to let drivers know you are doing something.
- Get your equipment out and ready. Use the flathead screwdriver to pop off the hubcap carefully and expose the lug nuts.
- Loosen the lug nuts and then use the jack to raise the corner of the car. For a newer vehicle, you will likely need the owner’s manual to show you where to place the jack.
- Remove the lug nuts and the tire by pulling it directly towards you. Replace the tire and finger tighten the lug nuts. Lower the car, remove the jack, and then fully tighten the lug nuts. Tighten them on opposite sides of each other and work your way around.
- Double check you’ve picked up everything before leaving.
Marino Agency Inc.
The agents at Marino Agency Inc. in the Mt. Ephraim, NJ area care about your safety. We want you to be fully covered in case of an accident. Contact us today to discuss your auto insurance options.